Sunday, February 2, 2014

P is for Pets...and other animals we love!

What child doesn't dream of having their own pet?  Growing up my sister had a dog and later another sister had a cat.  I had fish for a few years.  Now I share my home with my daughter's gerbil, Twister (who I enjoy a lot more than I thought I would!)

But I always wanted to have a turtle...maybe that's why I love the book The Birthday Pet that I will be sharing with the children.


Books

The Birthday Pet  by Ellen Javernick; illustrated by Kevin O'Malley


Pet Shop Lullaby  by Mary Ann Fraser


Songs/Rhymes/Fingerplays

(Reveal pictures of each pet on magnet board after the children guess)
I have 6 pets, now can you guess?
I’ll tell you all about them,
Now do your best.

He has strong legs and he loves to hop.
He has long whiskers and ears that flop.
Here’s one more clue, and it won’t be tough.
His cute little tail is like a powder puff.
Bunny

He carries his house wherever he goes,
Some pets move quickly, but he’s quite slow.
Hard as a rock is his outside shell.
Can you name him, can you tell?
Turtle

He hides in the seaweed and only comes out
When he sees food sprinkled all about.
Round and round in the water he swims.
Maybe that’s why this animal stays so slim.
Fish

Cute as can be and very tiny too.
On cheese and crackers, he likes to chew.
He scampers about on his tiny toes.
Can you guess? I’ll bet you know!
Mouse

His wings are pretty with colors of blue,
And yellow and green are in there, too.
He repeats after me everything I say.
He talks and talks for most of the day.
Parrot

This pet has whiskers and sharp, sharp claws.
Her favorite toy is a soft yarn ball.
She climbs the curtains and rules the house.
And she can’t stop looking at my little mouse.

Cat

Put your finger on your knee
(tune: If you’re happy and you know it)

Put your finger on your knee, on your knee
Put your finger on your knee, on your knee
Then turn yourself around
Stomp your feet upon the ground
Put your finger on your knee, on your knee.

Additional verses:
Elbow, ankle, nose, bellybutton

I Had a Little Turtle

I had a little turtle
His name was Tiny Tim
I put him in the bathtub
To see if he could swim
He drank up all the water
He gobbled up the soap
And when he tried to talk
He had a bubble in his throat.

What other pet did we put in the bathtub?

Enrichment Activities

Playdough





Pattern Blocks (animals pattern from Pre-Kinders)




Dog chasing a ball tracing sheet (from Homeschool Creations)


Puppets


No comments: