Sunday, April 5, 2015

Supercharged Storytimes

My library district is taking part in Supercharged Storytime Training.  As part of the Develop Young Learners Team will be "attending" a weekly training webinar.  I am always looking for ways to improve my storytimes--so I am excited to participate.

Our district has already done an overview training of the training several weeks ago.  Many great things were taught and I was reaffirmed that I am on the right track when I do storytime.  I take lots of time to ask questions, ask children to predict, and point things out things in the text/book.  We are to do so much more than "just read a book"!!  (I learned that from my wonderful mentor, Mrs. B)

Two important things I took away from the training were:

  1. Be more intentional during my planning.  Sometimes planning storytimes feel second nature to me and I don't always think about why I choose certain books, song, rhymes.  Put into words the why.
  2. Share more early literacy tips and the why of storytime with parents/caregivers.  I will do this occasionally, but I know this is one area I can definitely improve on. (My last blog post for my fellow storytime presenters was really for me!!) 
I will try to add my "supercharged" ideas to my storytime posts.  I'm sure they will be developing quite a bit over the next few weeks during training.

No comments: