Saturday, May 7, 2016

Children's Book Week



In honor of Children's Book Week I wanted to share my top five children's books.  Let me tell you, it was not an easy task to narrow it down to just five!!

Hug!
by Jez Alborough
This is the best one-on-one book to share with your young child! Nearly wordless, the warmth, caring, and longing are expressed vividly in the illustrations.

Where's My Teddy?
by Jez Alborough
I read this book so many times to my daughters that I memorized it...and I still have it memorized after all these years.  I love to use this book when I am modeling Mem Fox's tips for reading aloud: fast, slow; loud, soft; and pauses.  A great read aloud book!

Ella Enchanted
by Gail Carson Levine
This is one of the first fairy tale retellings I remember reading.  Ella is a bright, determined, strong, yet sweet young lady who takes her destiny into her own hands.

The Giver
by Lois Lowry

This is the book that got me hooked on reading children's books as an adult.  Deeply thought-provoking and 

The Penderwicks
by Jeanne Birdsall
A sweet story of four sisters, their widowed father, and a new friend.  The girls are wonderfully creative and full of energy.  A wonderful story of family and friendship.

Harry Potter
by J. K. Rowling
OK.  I threw in a bonus.  I just couldn't bypass a book (series) that changed the face of children's literature!  A classic tale of good versus evil; the underdog finding inner strength to bet the odd; and the power of love and friendship.

No comments: