Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Happy Birthday, Kevin Henkes!

Today is author/illustrator, Kevin Henkes', birthday!  You may know him best for his books about little mice, such as Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse.


He is also the winner of the 2005 Caldecott Medal (awarded to the most distinguished artist of a children's book) with his book, Kitten's First Full Moon.


I became a fan of Henkes when I read Jessica aloud to my young daughter several years ago.  I think this book resonated with me because my daughter also had an imaginary friend...and she was starting school.
Henkes has a way of developing rich characters with few words and being able to identify with children's thoughts, ideas, and concerns and address them in sensitive ways. 

Owen--How can Owen start school when he still carries around his favorite blanket, fuzzy?

Wembley Worried--The titles says it all.  Wembley worried about everything, but especially about starting school.

Julius, The Baby of the World--Lilly has to confront her feelings of sibling rivalry.


Just this year Henkes has written early reader books about a little mouse named Penny.  These have been well received, so I'm sure more will be coming!


Henkes has also written nine "chapter" books for older children.  His newest one is Junonia--a sensitive story about change.  This book is now on the top of my "to read" list!

No comments: