Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My Favorite Dr. Seuss Book

I admit, choosing just one favorite Seuss book was rather difficult.  These are the other four that fought for my top spot!
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • I Can Read With My Eyes Shut


But I finally choose, as my favorite Dr. Seuss book,  How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Or maybe a more appropriate title would be "How the Grinch Tried to Steal Christmas".  Or maybe "How the Grinch Found Christmas".  This book reminds me that Christmas is so much more than gifts and presents; decorations and lights! 

I really like the message of this story and the Grinch's own declaration

"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. 
Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"

"Every Who down in Who-ville, the tall and the small,
Was singing! Without any presents at all!
He HADN'T stopped Christmas from coming!
IT CAME!
Somehow or other, it came just the same!"

Of course I can't read the book without "hearing" the Grinch from the cartoon, which first aired in 1966.  I grew up watching the cartoon every Christmas season on TV.  Back then if you missed the showing of it that evening, you missed it for the year!  Now I can watch it several times a year on DVD!

To learn more about the history behind How the Grinch Stole Christmas visit this informative website.

No comments: