Monday, April 15, 2013

National Library Week


What's your favorite library memory?  What is you favorite thing about the library?  As we celebrate National Library Week this is a good opportunity to think about what the library means to you...and how your life would be different without a public library.

My favorite library memory is taking my daughter to "Book Babies"--a special storytime for babies and their parents [Marshall Public Library in Pocatello, Idaho].  This program helped my little girl become excited for books and the library.  Some of the first words she would say were "Book Babies"--she loved to go to the library.  This program ensured we visited the library often, not only to enjoy storytime, but then to explore books and take armfuls of wonderful books home.  She would even "play" Book Babies at home with her stuffed animals.  My daughter is an avid reader today.


My favorite thing about the library is definitely selecting tons of books--for FREE!!  (If I bring them back on time).  Borrowing books from the huge selection lets me try new genres, explore a topic I haven't before, and use the library to find information that will help me.  I've found I enjoy reading non-fiction books, though usually just once, so I don't like to buy them.  Here are a few of the great non-fiction books I've enjoyed from the Bellevue Public Library.


The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption  by Laura Hillenbrand
Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daneil H. Pink


Celebrate National Library Week by stopping by your local library this week--for a program, to check out something new, or re-read an old favorite!

No comments: