Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Children's Book Week


I love that we get to celebrate children's books...one of my true passions!  I've written about my struggles with reading and my favorite books from 5th grade.  Today I'm going to share my favorite children's books that have been published since I became an adult (so they might date me).  I would be hard pressed to think of this many favorite adult books!

Two of these books are from author/illustrator Jez Alborough.

Where's My Teddy?  I read this book so often to my daughters that I memorized it...and I still have it memorized after 10 years!  The illustrations are so cute and I love that the bear is scared of the boy!

Hug is a nearly wordless picture book.  The expressions of Bobo are priceless!  Hugs are definitely important... especially between parent and child!

I love to read Aaaarrgghh! Spider! by Lydia Monks to preschool children.  The first page is so clever--having it from the spider's point of view.  Makes me think twice about what kind of pet I may consider getting!

I can't wait for fall to come around so I can read aloud my favorite picture book:  The little old lady who was not afraid of anything by Linda Williams and illustrated by Megan Lloyd.  I love to have the kids do the actions and children love the "touch" of spooky.

As for "chapter books" I have a much harder time choosing just a few.  I guess if I had to they would be:

Frindle by Andrew Clements  I wish I had known Nick in 5th grade!  Such a clever and energetic boy!  His report about dictionaries was hilarious   I wouldn't say I'd have wanted Mrs. Granger for my English teacher, but she certainly played her role well!

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine--a retelling of Cinderella, but with so much depth and passion and a strong female character!

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling  Such an Epic Journey!  Could be replace Madame Pince as Hogwarts' Librarian?!

and my all time favorite, The Giver by Lois Lowry.  Ponder choice; and pain; and true happiness and love.

All of  these were published after my childhood...so I've only experienced them as an adult.  But I love the quality and uniqueness of each of them!  I re-read them (or listen to the audio of them) every year or two!

Celebrate Children's Book Week by re-reading a favorite or finding a new favorite!

No comments: