Thursday, October 3, 2013

C is for Costumes...and other things we wear!

Be sure to check out my post with all of our weekly songs here!

We had a great time today talking about the letter c (with a hard c sound) and discovering costumes, dressing-up, and other clothing!

Books

Just What Mama Needs by Sharlee Glenn; illustrated by Amiko Hirao


Froggy Gets Dressed by Jonathan London; illustrated by Frank Remkiewicz


Songs/Flannel Board/Fingerplays

Dress-Up (from this source; adapted by Tammy Henry)
A pretty princess wears a crown
Bunny's ears flop up and down.

A beautiful ballerina dances round and round,
A butterfly flies without a sound.

A cowboy with his boots and horse,
A doctor with a stethoscope.

I like to dress-up and to pretend,
On my own or with a friend!

Hickory Dickory, Socks!
(Sung to: Hickory, Dickory, Dock)

Hickory, dickory, dock,
Let's put on our socks.
We'll walk around
Without a sound
Hickory, dickory, dock!

Repeat with other actions, such as tiptoe, slide, jump

Stand-up Song

I Can Walk on Two Feet

I can walk on two feet, on two feet, on two feet
I can walk on two feet all day long!

Substitute other actions for walking, such as: run, jump, march, tiptoe, stomp, hop on one foot.

Nursery Rhyme

Deedle, Deedle Dumpling
Deedle, deedle dumpling my son John
Went to bed with his stockings on
One shoe off and one shoe on
Deedle, deedle, dumpling my son John.

What else did John wear to bed that he shouldn't have?  Some answers included: shorts, pants, clothes, mask, and swimsuit!

Enrichment Activities

Candy Corn Count
I just used clipart and made a simple sheet that has 1 candy corn, the next square has 2 candy corn.  Each child got 15 candy corn to set out and count, 1-5.




Clothes Matching worksheet
Another simple activity sheet I made with clipart.  Children draw a line between the matching clothing pieces.

Flannel board--dress the kids
I found this in our library's flannel board collection.  The children had fun "dressing" the kids!



Costumes and Dress-up clothes
My own children loved to dress-up, so I knew I needed to have some things for the kids to try on!  Goodwill, especially this time of year, had lots of great things for our costume box--including a Darth Vader mask, butterfly wings, tutus, firefighter helmet and vest, and cowboy hat!








No comments: