Friday, January 10, 2014

M is for ME...and things I like!

A storytime all about me...well, not ME exactly.  A storytime celebrating each of us individually...and being happy with who we are, what we like,  and the talents and personalities we have that make us each unique!

Books
I Like Myself by Karen Beaumont; illustrated by David Catrow

Things I Like  by Anthony Browne

Songs/Rhymes/Fingerplays

Mirror, Mirror 
Pass a handheld mirror around as we repeat the poem a few times. 

I look in the mirror and who do I see?
A very wonderful, special me!
With pretty eyes all shiny and bright,
My smile shows my teeth, all pearly white.
It certainly is great to be

The very wonderful, special me! 
(Ann M. O’Connell in Totline’s Our Selves: Activities for Helping Young Children Learn and Care About Themselves and Others, 1992)

Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes
Traditional

Jack and Jill
Jack and Jill went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown
And Jill came tumbling after.

What's another reason Jack and Jill went up the hill?


I have something in my pocket
I have something in my pocket
It belongs across my face.
I keep it very close at hand
In a most convenient place.
I bet you couldn't guess it
If you guessed a long, long while
So I’ll take it out and put it on,

It’s a great big happy SMILE!
(from The complete Daily curriculum for Early Childhood, Revised (2011), Pam Schiller and Pat Phipps, p. 308.)

Enrichment Activities

Dress-up





All about Me Poster to color (left over from Dream Big summer reading program)



If I wrote a book it would be about...Clifford
If I could have any pet I'd have a...big red dog

Hopscotch




Puzzles
Hiding under the table and doing a puzzle!
Here is my new storytime bag I received from my daughter for Christmas!  You can't ask for a better bag for a children's librarian!

No comments: