Friday, October 31, 2014

You Don't Scare Me! Storytime

I am cautious at this time of year.  I have heard too many stories of children, for example, not being scared of the dark...until they hear a story about a child being afraid of the dark.  Same goes for monsters (including my own daughter).  I also try to steer clear of "Halloween".  I had the unfortunate opportunity of a family leaving a Halloween storytime...and I never saw them in the library again.   So this time of year I focus on autumn, leaves, pumpkins, apples, scarecrows, etc.  This storytime has a bit of "fright" without being scary and without mentioning Halloween.

Books

Snip, Snap! What's That? by Mara Bergman; illustrated by Nick Maland


The Little Old Lady who was not Afraid of Anything  by Linda Williams; illustrated by Megan Lloyd

Songs/Rhymes/Fingerplays

Five Little Monkeys Swinging in the Tree
5 little monkeys swinging in the tree
Teasing Mr. Alligator, "Can't catch me!"
Along come Mr. Alligator...quiet as can be and
SNAP! That monkey right out of the tree!

(Continue counting down to 1)

Scarecrow, Scarecrow
Scarecrow, Scarecrow turn around
Scarecrow, Scarecrow touch the ground.
Scarecrow, Scarecrow reach up high
Scarecrow, Scarecrow touch the sky!
Scarecrow, Scarecrow bend down low
Scarecrow, Scarecrow touch your toe
Scarecrow, Scarecrow jump up now
Scarecrow, Scarecrow take a bow!

Dingle Dangle Scarecrow

I'm a dingle, dangle scarecrow
With a great big floppy hat
I can shake my hands like this
And I can shake my feet like that!

Play and Learn

Scarecrow

Autumn Coloring Sheet

Leaf Sort 

Scissor Practice--Leaf cutting from ThisReadingMama

Blocks

No comments: