Friday, December 5, 2014

Thanksgiving Storytime

I enjoyed these Thanksgiving Day books and songs about eating, saying "thanks", and turkeys!

Books

Flannel Board (adapted from):  I know an old lady who swallowed a pie by Alison Jackson; illustrated by Judith Byron Schachner

Flannel board from O Mazing Kids
I skipped the roll and the pot because it was too long for my storytime children.

Thanks for Thanksgiving by Julie Markes; illustrated by Doris Barrette

Bear Says Thanks by Karma Wilson; illustrated by Jane Chapman




Songs/Rhymes/Fingerplays

Hands Say Hello
(tune: Farmer in the Dell)

My hands say hello
My hands say hello
Everytime I see my friends
My hands say hello.

Additional verses:
Any other body part--knees, elbows, nose, tummy, feet
Final verse--tongue (sing song with tongue sticking out!)

Five Turkeys
5 turkeys were getting quite nervous
Thanksgiving soon would be back
So one turkey put on a duck suit
And now he says, "Gobble, gobble, QUACK"




Play and Learn Activities

What can you eat?

Put the right number of whipped cream dollops (cotton balls) on the pumpkin pies (5-10)

If I do this activity again I will have pies printed out that the children can glue cotton ball whipped cream to.  They really weren't interested in counted.

Cars and Trucks, What goes Together? Magnet set, Gear Set

Children could also retell "I know an old lady who swallowed a pie" and the 5 nervous turkeys!

No comments: