Sunday, February 22, 2015

Community Helpers Storytime

Have you ever had one of those storytimes that you are excited about, but then it just kind of "flops"?  Well, today was one of those days.  Storytime wasn't bad by any means, but it was a great program either.  To tell you the truth I really wasn't that excited about the theme until I came up with some fun enrichment activities.  I did this theme because I will be doing an outreach storytime next week and the school requested "Community Helpers"--not my first choose for a theme for storytime.  But since I had to develop it for my outreach I figured I might as well use it for regular storytime as well.

I even found some decent books...I thought of a fun guessing game...and several fun activities.  It just didn't go over all that well.  Anyway, here's what we did today.

Books

Guess Who?
by: Margaret Miller

Clothesline Clues to the Jobs People Do
by Kathryn Heling and Deborah Hembrook
illustrated by Andrew Robert Davies

Hardworking Puppies
by Lynn Reiser

Songs/Magnet Board

The Wheels on the Bus
verses we did:
Wheels
Doors (open and shut)
Driver ("Move on back!)
Wipers (swish, swish, swish)
Horn (beep, beep, beep)
Babies ("Waa, waa, waa!")
Mommies (Sh! Sh! Sh!)
Wheels

Guessing Game
To end program we did a guessing game to go along with Hardworking Puppies.  Guess which job the puppy wanted to do today--with the puppy hiding behind one of the community helpers vehicle (fire engine, police car, dump truck, mail truck, ice cream truck, school bus, airplane, and tractor)



Activities

Dramatic Play

  • Deliver the Mail





  • Bakery (with playdough)
  • Construction Worker


Guessing Game

Career Hats cut and paste activity from The Education Center

No comments: