Sunday, March 15, 2015

Shadow Storytime

We have finally been having some sunny days...after a long winter of cloudy/overcast days!  So we celebrated the sun by talking about shadows!  It was a very fun storytime!
Books


The Black Rabbit
by Philippa Leathers

Guess Whose Shadow?
by Stephen R. Swinburne

Songs/Flannel Board/Movement

My Shadow Movements

If I walk, my shadow walks
If I run, my shadow runs,
And when I stand still, as you can see,
My shadow stands beside me.
When I hop, my shadow hops,
When I jump, my shadow jumps,
And when I sit still, as you can see,
My shadow sits beside of me.
Shadow, Shadow
Shadow, shadow turn around
Shadow, shadow touch the ground
Shadow, shadow dance on your toes
Shadow, shadow touch your nose
Shadow, shadow jump up now
Shadow, shadow take a bow
Shadow, shadow stomp your feet
Shadow, shadow take your seat.

Guess the Shadow
Shadow, shadow that I see
Shadow, shadow what can it be?



I just found clipart and cut out a black "shadow" from cardstock as I cut out the clipart. I put the shadow up first and let the children guess what it was.  They did very well! 

Here's the tricky one...



Activities

Shadow Play
Children cut out shapes from cardstock, colored, and taped on a craft stick.  I had a desk lamp set up and they made shadows with their stick puppets.




Henrietta's shadow!
Shadow Matching Game (from Busy Little Bugs)


Shadow Matching Farm Animal "worksheet" (from Gift of Curiosity)

Duplos

Magnetic Shadow Guess/Match

I had one little girl who absolutely loved doing the shadow guessing game.  She even used my wording, "This will be tricky!".

No comments: