Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Lost and Found Storytime

This was one of those storytimes that just came together so perfectly!  I had seen Puffin Peter when I was planning my penguin storytime and knew I wanted to use it later.  When a colleague introduced me to Found I knew I had found my storytime!!  I've never done a Lost and Found storytime theme.  It was a lot of fun!

Books

Puffin Peter
Petr Hoacek

Found
Salina Yoon

Three Little Kittens
from Mother Goose Remembers
Clare Beaton

Songs/Magnet Board

Jumpy Jim Lost His Mom
Adapted from: Briggs, Diane.  Preschool Favorites: 35 Storytimes Kids Love.  American Library Association, 2007, p 87.


There was a little, lost joey
Whose name was Jumpy Jim.
His mommy seemed to be missing.
Oh what a fix he was in!

He asked a duck if she’d seen her
As she was waddling down the road.
The duck looked around in her area
And said, “I can’t find her, dear, no.”

He asked a funny monkey
If his mommy he could find.
But the monkey only scratched his head
And said, “I just don’t have the time.”

Next he asked a koala
With a sweet, little teddy bear face
If he had seen his mommy
And the koala said, “No, not a trace.”

Next came a chubby old hippo
And the joey asked her too
And when she couldn’t help him
He just didn’t know what to do.

It was then that a bright parrot
Flying high and as free as can be
Said, “Jumpy Jim, dry up your tear drops.
She’s napping right under that tree.”


Jumpy Jim jumped for joy
And ran to his mommy with glee.
He hopped in her pouch
Like a fuzzy old couch
And they jumped away happily.




Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes

Find the Dog His Bone

Little doggy whimpers and moans
Will you help him find his bone?

Supercharged
What I Did:  Talk about each of the characteristics of puffins that Peter tells the whale (funny and noisy--parrots; black and white--penguins; colorful beak--toucan).  Compare those characteristics to the animal the whale takes Peter to.

Parent Tip:  Nursery rhymes help to teach rhythm, rhyme, and vocabulary to children.  Many can be sung.  Nursery rhymes are also fun to share with children!

Play and Learn

Find the matching dinos in the rice sensory bin

Duplos

Three Little Kittens Scavenger Hunt
I hid the larger set of objects around the children's area of the library--on wall or on ends of bookcases, at eye level for the children.  They had a lot of fun finding the items.  I even had some kids go on multiple hunts!



Help the dog find the ball Maze from worksheetfun.com

Magnet board:  Hide and Find the dog's bone

No comments: