Friday, September 27, 2013

B is for Bedtime...and other night time things!

The second week of storytime this school year was challenging...mostly because I don't feel like I am really back into the "swing of things".  But after a mediocre Wednesday program, I revamped for a much smoother Thursday program.  Weekly repeated songs found here.


Books on Wednesday

Chicken Bedtime is Really Early by Erica S. Perl; illustrated by George Bates
I think this is a very cute book and I liked it a lot...however the font in the book is very difficult to read aloud while holding the book to the side, especially the letter "s".  Here is an example of the print:



Sweet Dreams: How Animals Sleep by Kimiko Kajikawa

I didn't want to present Chicken Bedtime again since it was so difficult to read...so I changed up the books for Thursday.  The children seemed to like both of them.

Books on Thursday

Tick-Tock, Drip-Drop! A Bedtime Story by Nicola Moon; illustrated by Eleanor Taylor


Good Night, Sleep Tight, Little Bunnies by Dawn Apperley


Songs on both days

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
(Traditional)
I emphasized to the parents/caregivers the importance of singing--how singing slows language down and children then hear the individual sounds in the words of the song.  Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star is a prime example of this.

My Thumbs are Starting to Wiggle
(Tune: The Bear went over the mountain)

My thumbs are starting to wiggle, my thumbs are starting to wiggle, 
My thumbs are starting to wiggle, wiggle all around.

Additional verses:
My fingers
My toes
My feet
My hands
My arms
My legs
My body
Last, but not least...my tongue!


Additional Song on Thursday

Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
(Traditional)

Nursery Rhyme

Wee Willie Winkie

Wee Willie Winkie runs through the town
Upstairs and downstairs in his night-gown.
Rapping at the windows, crying at the locks
Are the children all in bed, for now it's eight o'clock?

To "play" with this nursery rhyme, we replaced in bed to things we do to get ready for bed--such as brushing their teeth, putting on PJs, taking a bath, reading a book.  Each time we'd repeat the whole rhyme and put in the new phrase.

Enrichment Activities

Glue square and triangles on pattern for a quilt
Sewing Cards
Sorting pictures between night and day onto magnet board
Puppets

No comments: