Tuesday, October 16, 2012

F is for Fall

This week I visited Kindercare and shared with them some books, rhymes and songs about fall and Halloween.  This storytime will be repeated as I visit Welcome School later in the month and when Noah's Ark Preschool visits the library for a storytime.

Books:

When Autumn Falls by: Kelli Nidey

Sneeze, Big Bear, Sneeze  by: Maureen Wright

The Little Old Lady Who was Not Afraid of Anything  by: Linda Williams
Songs and Fingerplays

A-C-O-R-N
(tune: Bingo)

There is a nut that squirrels like
And acorn is it's name-o
A-C-O-R-N
A-C-O-R-N
A-C-O-R-N
And acorn is it's name-o.
There is a nut that squirrels like
And acron is it's name-o
A-C-O-R-(clap/crunch)
A-C-O-R-(clap/crunch)
A-C-O-R-(clap/crunch)
And acorn is it's name-o.

Continue sining the song taking one letter away from the end time and replacing it with a clap/crunch.  Do this until all the letters of acron are gone.

Scarecrow, Scarecrow
Scarecrow, scarecrow turn around
 Scarecrow, scarecrow touch the ground
Scarecrow, scarecrow reach up high
Scarecrow, scarecrow touch the sky
Scarecrow, scarecrow bend down low
Scarecrow, scarecrow touch your toe.

Autumn Leaves
(tune: Did you ever see a lassie?)

Autumn leaves are hanging, are hanging, are hanging
Autumn leaves are hanging , hanging today.

Autumn leaves turn colors, turn colors, turn colors
Autumn leaves turn colors, turn colors today.

Autumn leaves are falling, are falling, are falling
Autumn leaves are falling, are falling today.

Autumn leaves are dancing, are dancing, are dancing
Autumn leaves are dancing, dancing today.

Autumn leaves are raked up, are raked up, are raked up
Autumn leaves are raked up, raked up today.

Autumn leaves get jumped in, jumped in, jumped in
Autumn leaves get jumped in, jumped in today!

Fall Riddles (from Totline)

Beneath your feet you hear us crunch,
Then we get raked into a bunch.
What are we?  Leaves

I drop off trees, and their I lie,
Til someone bakes me in a pie.
What am I?  An Apple

I stand in the field and scare a bird,
But I don't say a single word.
What am I?  A scarecrow

I'm cold in autumn, if I blow,
I swirl the leaves and make a show.
What am I?  The wind

Of all the flowers, I am the queen,
With yellow petals and seeds between.
What am I?  A sunflower

I'm big and oragne and quite a catch,
When you pick me from the patch.
What am I?  A pumpkin

No comments: