Tuesday, December 17, 2013

K is for Kittens...and other baby animals

It has been cold here in Nebraska...so the kids have been cooped up inside...so they were very wiggly and talkative this week.  But we still had fun learning about the letter K and kittens...and other baby animals!

I did use a shorter first book on Thursday.  I will post both I used.

Books

Where's My Mommy? by Carol Roth; illustrated by Sean Julian

I decided this book was too long for my very wound up Thursday group...so I read A Kitten's Tale instead.

A Kitten's Tale by Eric Rohmann


Is Your Mama a Llama?  by Deborah Guarino; illustrated by Steven Kellogg


Songs/Rhymes/Fingerplays

I Like Baby Animals
(sung to Mary had a little lamb)

I like baby animals, animals, animals
I like baby animals, I'll name a few for you!

Kittens, puppies, chicks and cubs
Chicks and cubs, chicks and cubs
Kittens, puppies, chicks and cubs
I'll name some more for you.

Joeys, ducklings, lambs and calves
Lambs and calves, lambs and calves
Joeys, ducklings, lambs and calves
I like baby animals!

I made a magnet board using pictures of baby animals I found on Google.  For cubs I used a bear cub, a tiger cub, and a lion cub...and talked about how they are all called cubs.  For calves I used pictures cow, elephant, and giraffe--they are all calves!

Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat
Kitty cat, kitty cat turn around
Kitty cat, kitty cat sit on the ground.

Kitty cat, kitty cat lick your paws
Kitty cat, kitty cat show your claws.

Kitty cat, kitty stretch in the sun
Kitty cat, kitty run, run, run.

Kitty cat, kitty cat see the moonlight
Kitty cat, kitty cat say goodnight.

Visit this page for all of our repeating songs and chants!

Enrichment Activities

Puppets

I found lots of great activities at 1+1+1=1 Blog
Baby Animal Matching Cards
Strip Puzzle
Trace the lines between the baby animal and its parent

No comments: