Sunday, July 19, 2015

Outreach Storytime--Bugs!

I've had so much fun with bugs!  The children at the centers seemed to really get into this theme.

Books
I read I Love Bugs and The Very Lazy Ladybug at all of my outreach storytimes.  I love using these books!

I Love Bugs
Emma Dodd

The Very Lazy Ladybug (pop-up edition)
by Isobel Finn and Jack Tickle

I couldn't choose my favorite 3rd book; so I read one of the following at each center.  The Fly and Fly! are both new, so I had to give them a try!  The Fly is best suited to older preschool +.

Caterpillar's Wish
by Mary Murphy

The Fly
by Petr Horacek

Fly!
by Karl Newsom Edwards

Songs

After reading I Love Bugs we sang "There's a Spider on the Floor".  I ask the children if they are brave enough to hold a spider.  Most are relieved that they are just foam spiders!

There's a Spider on the Floor

There's a spider on the floor, on the floor
There's a spider on the floor, on the floor
Who could ask for any more
Than a spider on the floor?
There's a spider on the floor, on the floor

Additional verses:
Knee--"Oh, how could it be? I've got a spider on my knee!"
Tummy--"Oh, it really isn't funny! I've got a spider on my tummy"
Arm--"Oh, it doesn't mean any harm, this spider on my arm"
Face--"Oh, what a big disgrace! I've got a spider on my face!"
Head--"Oh, I wish I was in bed! There's a spider on my head!"

Ladybug (Flannel Board)

Ladybug has one black spot
One black spot
One black spot
Ladybug has one black spot
Pretty Ladybug!

Continue adding another black until you have three on each side (total of six).  
I like to use math terms such as, add, equal, same when I do this flannel board.

No comments: