Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Hiccups, Burps, Sneezes, and Snores! Storytime

When Hiccupotamus arrived at the library I knew I wanted to use it for storytime!  It was a super fun storytime!  My puppet, Henrietta, really got into the theme by hiccuping, sneezing and snoring!

Books

Bear Snores On
by Karma Wilson; illustrated by Jane Chapman
Before reading the book I told the children to listen and watch for the burp and the sneeze!  We also "snored" when Bear snored.

Hiccupotamus
by Steve Smallman; illustrated by Ada Grey
The kids helped me make all the noises the animals made!

Chu's Day
by Neil Gaiman; illustrated by Adam Rex

Magnet Board

Four Hungry Ants
Four hungry ants marching in a line;
Came upon a picnic where they could dine.
One marched into the salad,
He marched into the cake
He marched into the pepper--but that was a mistake!

Aaah, aaah, CHOO!

Songs

Let Everyone Clap Hands Like Me

Let everyone clap hands like me (clap, clap)
Let everyone clap hands like me (clap, clap)
Come on and join in the game!
You'll find that it's always the same.

Let everyone hiccup like me (hic,hic)

Let everyone sneeze like me (aah-choo!)

Let everyone snore like me (zzzz)

Let everyone clap hands like me.

Are You Sleeping?

Are you sleeping, are you sleeping
Little bear? Little bear?
[snore]
Wake up little bear!
Wake up little bear!
Grrr, grr, grr!

Other animals
Frog/bunny--jump/hop
Bird--flap
Cheetah--run


Play and Learn

Four Hungry Ants magnetic board
(many kids loved trying the rhyme and making the ant's sneeze blow the ant away!)

Train
Puzzles
Musical Instruments
Magnet Game "What Goes Together"

2 comments:

Chambers County Library System said...

I would love to your song, Let everyone clap hands like me in my Storytime.
Is this done to the tune of something?



Thanks in advance!
Michelle Mims
Chambers County Library

Tammy said...

I found the tune on Youtube and just changed up the words to fit the theme! The kids like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQeYx3Nnefk