Saturday, May 27, 2017

Zoo Storytime

I have had a lot of fun with this theme.  I was spoiled when I lived in the Omaha area and could visit the Henry Doorly Zoo many times a year.  A lot of kids around here have never been to a zoo, so I told them that we get to visit the zoo in the books!  I did this storytime at preschool and all ages storytimes and two early learning classrooms.

Zoo Day: A My First Experience Book
by Anne Rockwell; illustrated by Lizzy Rockwell


After reading the book we went back to the zoo map and followed the family's path talking about all the animals they saw.

Two at the Zoo: A Counting Book
by Danna Smith; illustrated by Valeria Petrone

Graph Question

What animals would you like to see at the zoo?
Elephant, Lion, Giraffe, Monkey

Songs/Rhymes

ABC Welcome

What Did Henrietta Bring?

At the Zoo
(The Wheels on the Bus)

I saw an elephant go stomp, stomp, stomp
Stomp, stomp, stomp
Stomp, stomp, stomp
I saw an elephant go stomp, stomp, stomp
At the zoo!

Monkey--oooh!oooh!
Lion--roar!
Snake--slither
Bird--fly/flap
Giraffe--stretch
Sea Lion--ark!

Play and Learn

Use a variety of animal stamps to create you own zoo

Some had fun drawing themselves vising the zoo!

No comments: