Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Hat Storytime

Hooray For Hat! was the new book I read that inspired this storytime!  It was a lot of fun!

Books
Hooray for Hat
by Brian Won

A Hat for Minerva Louise
by Janet Morgan Stoeke

Flannel Board/Songs

Scat the Cat and His Magic Hat

Once upon a time, there was a black cat. His mother was black, his father was black and his brothers and sisters were black, but one day he decided he did not want to be black anymore. So, he put on his magical hat, and he said, "I'm Scat the Cat and with my hat, I'm going to change my colors just like that!" And he changed himself into an orange cat, and he was as orange and orange could be. He was as orange as....?? (have the children give answers). But then he was tired of being orange, so he put on his hat and said, "I'm Scat the Cat and with my hat, I'm going to change my colors just like that!" 

Silly Hat Song
Use party hats…
(Tune: This Old Man)

On my head, I wear my hat.
It is such a silly hat
That my head will wiggle waggle to and fro
Where else can my silly hat go?

[Repeat using foot, elbow and knee.]

The children came up with some very fun body parts...ear, eye, nose.  Wish I had my camera!!
I had the children take their hat to the grown-up to brought them.  They got to decorate them after the stories.

When Winter Winds Blow
(adapted from When March Hats Blow)

When I hear the winter winds blow
I look up in the sky
Instead of things like birds or planes,
I watch the hats fly by.

Each one different from the last,
Every color do I see.
Some are big and some are small,
As they fly by me.

Here comes a blue (police officer) hat flying by,
Now a yellow (construction) hat in the sky.
Next a red (firefighter) hat on its way,
Then a brown (cowboy) hat flies away.

Green (ball cap) and black (top/magician), orange (party) and white (baker)
Even purple (snow)--what a sight!
I like it when there's rain and snow,
But most of all when winter winds blow!


Play and Learn

Of all the days to forget my camera...

Decorate "party hats" with foam stickers (hearts, flowers, alphabet, stars) and streamers!

Hat coloring page
This was a page with 8 winter hats on it.  I typed a color in each hat, then underlined the color word with its color.  The children then finished coloring the hats with the correct colors.

Tangrams


Lacing with buttons

No comments: