Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Guessing Storytime

One of my goals for the year is to try to use technology in storytime and see how it goes.  I already do a PowerPoint in Baby Storytime with all the words of the rhymes, songs, and bounces so parents can say them with me.  So I decided to try doing a PowerPoint for Family Storytime.  At first I just had the words written out like I do for Baby, but then I had the thought that clipart would help the kids know what is coming up--so I redid Run, Baby, Run and If I was a Bird to give them visual cues for the songs.  I am also going to read one story from Overdrive so it's on the big screen.

Books

Clothesline Clues to Jobs People Do
by Kathryn Heling and Deborah Hembrook

Step by Step 
by Loreen Leedy
(Overdrive eBook)

My Friends Make Me Happy!
by Jan Thomas


Songs and Movement

Hello, Hello



Run Baby Run

If I was a Bird



My Hands Say Goodbye


Flannel Board

Guess Who? Animal Riddles
 
They are big and they are gray,
And their trunks swing and sway.
What are they?  Elephants
 
Bananas are their favorite things,
And they like to chatter and they like to swing.
What are they?  Monkeys
 
They have necks that are long, long, long
If you guess a turtle, you'd be wrong, wrong, wrong.
What are they?  Giraffes
 
They are a kind of cat
But they have a mane and (roar) like that.
What are they?  Lion
 
These birds can't fly and they eat fish so yummy
They're black all over except for a white tummy.
What are they? Penguins

Where is the Ladybug Hiding?

Early Literacy Tip


Play and Learn

New Toys!
Playdough

Update
(after storytime)

I'm not sure I loved using technology.  For one thing I had to have the front set up a little differently so that I was not blocking the screen.  Second, my computer would fall asleep after 10 minutes, which made moving through the slides and switching to the eBook took time, which equates to down time for kids to get wiggly.  But I loved the visual cues for songs.  Next time I'm just going to do one technology element (eBook or PowerPoint) and have the tech guy get my computer to not fall asleep (even though I had changed the settings).

No comments: