Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Community Helpers

Last year I was assigned to visit a preschool/child care center and they had requested Community Helpers.  This year I was assigned to visit them again--and once more their theme was Community Helpers.  I wasn't thrilled because I really didn't like the storytime I had put together last year...but I worked on it again and developed a storytime that I actually liked.  So I will use it for my other multi-age outreach storytimes in March.

Toddlers

Mr. Cookie Baker
by Monica Wellington


Fingerplay: Making Cookies
I am making cookie dough
Round and round the beaters go
Add some flour from a cup
Stir and mix the batter up.
Roll them, cut them, nice and neat
Put them on a cookie sheet.
Bake them, count them, one, two, three
Then serve them to my friends for tea.

My Bus

by Byron Barton

Song: The Wheels on the Bus

Five Trucks
by Brian Floca

Song: Five Little Monkeys


Preschool

Clothesline Clues to the Jobs People Do
by Kathryn Heling and Deborah Hembrook
illustrated by Andy Robert Davies

Song: Five Little Monkeys

Smash! Mash! Crash! Here Comes the Trash!
by Barbara Odanaka; illustrated by Will Hillenbrand

Flannel:  The Garbage OR Song: Garbageman, Garbageman (see below)
(borrowed from a co-worker)

Goodness gracious, oh what luck
Here comes the neighborhood garbage truck!
Rumbling down my family's street
Full of junk that's really neat!
Pizza boxes, cowboy hats
Brussels sprouts and baseball bats
Ice cream cones and jelly jars
Single mittens, apple cores
Picture frames and dirty socks
Paper towels, cuckoo clocks
Garbage trucks eat everything
All the garbage you can bring!

Train Man
by Andrea Zimmerman and David Clemesha

OR

Mr. Cookie Baker
by Monica Wellington

Pre-K

Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash!
by Barbara Odanaka; illustrated by Will Hillenbrand

Garbageman, Garbageman

Turn around
Touch the ground
Dance on your toes
Touch your nose
Bend down low
Touch your toe
Jump up now
Take a bow

Additional verses included:  astronaut, doctor, teacher, etc.

Last time through end with:
Stomp your feet
Take a seat

Hardworking Puppies
by Lynn Reiser

Magnet Board Guessing Game: Puppy Wants a Job
(tune: Do You Know the Muffin Man?)

Puppy wants to find a job, find a job, find a job
Puppy want to find a job, what will he be today?

No comments: