Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Dr. Seuss Storytime

I won't be doing storytime during the week of Read Across America, so I am doing it a little early!  In this post I am going to put the songs/flannels and books in the order I did them with the group.

Storytime Outline

Flannel Board
One Fish, Two Fish
(idea from What's Bridget Reading?)

One fish, two fish
Red fish, blue fish
Black fish, blue fish
Old fish, new fish
This one has a little star
This one has a little car
Say! What a lot of fish there are!

Book
Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?

Stand-up Song
Cat in the Hat
(tune: Addam's Family)

Cat in the Hat (clap, clap)
Cat in the Hat (clap, clap)
Cat in the Hat, Cat in the Hat, Cat in the Hat (clap, clap)

He causes lots of fun
But when the fun is done
You will be the one
To send that Cat away!

We do it several times changing up the actions to such things as stomp or jump.

Flannel Board
Green Eggs (No Ham)
(idea from Mel's Desk)

I am Sam
Sam I am
I do so like
______ eggs and ham!

Book
The Foot Book
Magnet Board
Ten Apples Up on Top

One apple on top.
Two apples on top.
Look! See! I can do three.
I’m not going to stop; I’ll put four apples on top.
I’m not through; I can get five apples on top. Can you?
I am so good, I will not stop, six, seven eight apples on top.
Not one will I drop, I have nine apples on top.
Nine is very good. But then… Come on and we will make it ten!

Ten apples up on top!

Play and Learn

"Cat in the Hat" Hat

Fishing Game from Lakeshore
Image result for lakeshore learning fishing

Puppets

Dr. Seuss coloring page

Seuss Flannel/magnet board pieces (I have a pointer that the children loved to use to point to the fish and apples)

It wasn't a horrible storytime, but certainly not one of my favorites.  Maybe because I had a younger crowd than usual.  I had been thinking I would do Dr. Seuss for my March outreach storytimes, but I think I will find something different.

No comments: