Sunday, March 10, 2013

U is for...

Although the other vowels seemed to prove challenging, the letter U is fun to do for storytime thanks to TWO wonderful U words:  umbrella and underwear!!

Books

Froggy Gets Dressed by Jonathan London
I love this story.  It gives children the opportunity to participate and they love when when we get to unexpected underwear part!

Silly Sally by Audrey Wood
Another one of my favorite books with a subtle "u" connection--upside down.

Flannel Board/Songs/Rhymes

Animals Underground
By Lucia Kemp Henry

Here is the mole that lives underground.  Close eyes and put hands under your chin.
Here are the ants in their underground town.  Use fingers to scurry on the back of the other hand.
Here is a mouse in her warm little den.  Wrap arms around torso.
Here are the worms and there are ten.  Hold up hands and wiggle ten fingers.
Here is the turtle where he likes to hide.  Make a fist (turtle’s shell) and wiggle thumb (turtle’s head).
Here are the toads sitting side by side.  Place two closed fists side by side.
All of these creatures live underground.  Point to the ground.
Look very closely or they’ll never be found!  Make binoculars with hands and place them in front of your eyes
From Nature Boxes for Early Childhood Educators, Debbi Williams, Story County Conservation Board
** I made this into a flannel board using clipart **

The Bean Bag Song
(sung to: There's a spider on the floor)

There's a bean bag on my hair, on my hair
There's a bean bag on my hair, on my hair
There's a bean bag on my hair, now leave it right up there
There's a bean bag on my hair, on my hair.

There's a bean bag on the ground, on the ground
There's a bean bag on the ground, on the ground
There's a bean bag on the ground, now step and step around
There's a bean bag on the ground, on the ground.

There's a bean bag on my toe, on my toe
There's a bean bag on my toe, on my toe
There's a bean bag on my toe, lift it high and lift it low
There's a bean bag on my toe, on my toe.

There's a bean bag on my hand, on my hand
There's a bean bag on my hand, on my hand
There's a bean bag on my hand, toss it up and watch it land
There's a bean bag on my hand, on my hand.

Little Boy Blue

Little Boy Blue come blow your horn
The sheep's in the meadow, the cow's in the corn
Where is the boy who looks after the sheep?
He's under the haystack, fast asleep.

Enrichment Activities
What is under the umbrella?
A simple umbrella cut out and the top is taped onto a page that says, "What is under the umbrella?"  The child colors the umbrella and draws something hiding under the umbrella.

Up!
Can you keep the balloon up in the air?  I had six balloons blown up that the children could try to keep up in the air.  This is one of the children's favorite activities.

Go Together Flashcards
These were just some simple flashcards from the Dollar Store of things that go together.

No comments: